KB ID 0000157
Note: For a more modern version this post go here: Error: 0x8007232B DNS Name Does Not Exist
Essentially this happens because you are using “volume licensed media” to install the operating system, and the machine is looking for a server on your network that runs the KMS Service (Key Management Service). You need to have a KMS server if you are activating more than 25 machines. However most of us only have one or two to worry about, in that case you need to enter a MAK (Multiple Activation Key).
Note: If you are running a legal copy of Windows then getting a MAK key should be as easy as going to Microsoft eOpen or speaking to your software reseller.
Once you have your MAK Key
1. Click Start > Control Panel > System > Windows Activation Section > Change Product Key.
2. Enter the new MAK Key then activate Windows.
1. Start > Right Click “Command Prompt” > “Run as Administrator“.
2. Enter the following command slmgr –ipk ABCDE-12345-ABCDE-12345-ABCDE
3. Wait for the “successful” prompt.
4. re-run activation.
Where ABCDE-12345-ABCDE-12345-ABCDE is a valid MAK (Multiple Activation Key).
Related Articles, References, Credits, or External Links