KB ID 0000188
If your running the “Pre Release” version of Windows 7 it going to stop working 28/02/10, and when you try and upgrade it you will see this error.
There is no direct upgrade path, from the Pre-Release, however all its not lost, simply do the following.
Note: This will only work if your upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate (All the Pre-release versions are ultimate).
1. Are you installing the NEW version of windows 7 from a DVD or an ISO image? If it’s an ISO Image, then simply open the image with 7-Zip (Its free), Use that utility to extract all the files to your desktop. If you installing from a DVD then copy all the files from the DVD to a folder on your desktop.
2. Navigate to the “sources” folder in there you will find a file called cversion.ini double click it to open it with notepad.
3. Locate the line that says “MinClient=7233.0” and change it so it reads “MinClient=7000.0”.
4. Save the file with the new value.
5. Now run setup.exe from the root of the folder (go up a level).
6. Windows Install will launch, click “Install now”.
7. Choose “Upgrade” when prompted, ignore any warnings about incompatible programs your already running them on Windows 7.
Related Articles, References, Credits, or External Links