KB ID 0000152
Post Microsoft KB 915597 and KB 976098 updates.
You PC will boot, and you will see a totally black screen with (but not always) a Windows explorer window.
Credit to the guys at Prevx who have a fix online already.
1) Restart your PC.
2) Logon and wait for the black screen to appear.
3) Make sure your PC should be able to connect to the internet (black screen does not appear to affect this).
4) Press the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys simultaneously.
5) When prompted, Click Start Task Manager.
6) In Task Manager Click on the Application Tab.
7) Next Click New Task.
8) Now enter the command:
Note the following is all one command copy and paste it in its entirety,
“C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe” “http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?GRAB=BLACKSCREENFIX”
In case that link goes down or ceases to work, try
“C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe” “http://www.petenetlive.comhttp://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Media/0000152/fixshell.exe”
Note this command assumes that you are using internet explorer as your browser, if not substitute your browser path and file details for those of iexplore.exe or use the Browser option of Task manager to locate it.
9) Click OK and your browser should start up and begin the download process
10) When prompted for the download Click run, the black screen fix program will download and run to automatically fix the issue.
11) Now restart your PC and the black screen problem will hopefully be gone.
Related Articles, References, Credits, or External Links