KB ID 0000907 Dtd 21/01/14
After my recent DNS troubles, I was checking my mail server's (MX) records, and got a warning about not having any reverse lookup records (PTR) configured properly. I telnetted to the mail server on port 25, and saw it was responding with the servers host-name.
I know my records are correct for the FQDN of the server, I just needed to change its welcome banner.
Change the Postfix Welcome Banner by Editing The Postfix main.cf File
1. Connect to the server viaÂ SSH,Â (or open a terminal session). Logon as, (or su to) root.
2. Execute the following command;
3. Locate and edit the myhostname value, to match your servers public FQDN.
4. Once you have saved and exited nano, restart the Postfix service with the following command;
Change the Postfix Welcome Banner Using Webmin
1. Connect to the Webmin console > Postfix Mail server > General Options.
4. Scroll down to internet host-name of this mail system > Edit to match your servers public FQDN > Save and Apply.
5. Stop then Start Postfix.
Related Articles, References, Credits, or External Links